Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Art Imitates Life

I'm particularly fond or the comic, Pearls Before Swine, by Stephan Pastis. I was catching up on the past week's comics and thought I'd share a few recent ones as well as one I've had up on my cube wall for a while.

I was pondering last week the merits of obtaining a passport. I decided that I would make part of my New Year's resolution to obtain a passport for both myself and Alanna. J already has one from a few years back. I often get emails with these "last minute" deals where you can go somewhere all inclusive for a low price if you hop a plane in the next 48 hours. I've daydreamed about those trips and the freedom to just up and go sometime. Well, I can't get anywhere near that daydream if I don't even have a passport. This comic made me laugh this morning--in this case I think Rat is my inner pessimist.

I stumbled up on this one last Fall and I HAD to have it in my cubicle. I've often said that I have this little island in my mind and when people piss me off or in general are just not someone I want to be around, in my mind they get booted off my island. *Kick* *Pow* *Sploosh* My island has a masseuse, drinks that never run dry, sunshine with no clouds but with a light breeze, crystal blue water, white sand, and in general anything else my imagination decides would be a nice amenity.

This comic was so close to my own little island theory, it made me laugh.

Work has been extremely busy since coming back after the holidays. We have major changes for a client that I've been working on non-stop, yet I need to maintain what I'm doing for my other clients as well and train in a new employee (don't get me wrong I'm thankful for that last one, just feeling the time crunch right now). There have been more days than not since New Year's that I've felt like hiding so this comic seemed appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. You and your daughter might enjoy reading "The Phantom Tollbooth" together sometime. At one point, characters who "leap to conclusions" are literally and physically transported to the Isle of Conclusions.

    (here from Zazzy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really fun! We'll have to look for that :) Thanks for the suggestion and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first one. I get upset because I would have accessibility issues were I to travel to Europe - but the likelihood of my having the money to travel is minimal!

    ReplyDelete