Thursday, January 15, 2009

Brrrrr

I live in Minnesota, it's not like I don't KNOW that it's cold here, but the past few days have been especially frigid. This morning on the way to work it was -22 degrees not including the windchill.

It is strange though that even though it was about 10 degrees colder out this morning than yesterday, it didn't feel any worse. I think perhaps my body gets to a point where cold is just plain cold and there are no longer degrees of cold on the comparison bar.

Everything is relative after all which is why we Minnesotans think 30 degrees is short sleeve/no coat weather in March following the long, cold winter.

Minnesota Nice has a picture on her blog of herself all bundled up including a nifty warm looking face mask that I may have to go out in search of at the stores.

Alanna looks like a little sherpa when I send her off to school in the morning (which was not closed today although a HUGE list of schools was in the state). She goes out with her snowpants, boots, coat, mittens, hat, scarf and hood. She's so little that her backpack looks like it might tip her right over combined with the weight of her outerwear!

J says I have winter tourette's syndrome. I'll get into the freezing cold car and start swearing a blue streak (only when it's just grown-ups in the car mind you..otherwise I mutter instead). Then periodically during the 10 minutes it takes the car to warm up I'll sputter out an obscenity. Often like "Brr...F***ing Brrr...D***it!" He find is hyterical. Especially since the intermittant outbursts are often shouted really loudly.

A random occured to me today though while talking to a client in CA that was taunting me with a description of driving in to work this morning in a convertible with the top down. I was thinking that perhaps it's a good thing I haven't made much progress on my weight loss. After all now I have an extra layer or two (or three) of insulation for this super cold weather. If I was skinny then I'd be shivering like a chihuahua right now!!

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in PA I found that once you breached zero, the colder temps all felt the same but you had to know how long your skin could be exposed before frostbite set in.

    I really like MN in the summer; can't hang with you in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh definitely. I need to be a bit more conscientious of that for myself. I'm very very good at making sure Alanna is properly covered, but then jaunt outside myself in just my coat and lightweight gloves. Bad Lel!

    ReplyDelete