Sunday, January 11, 2009

Flowers

I've always had difficulty asking for what I want or need and even a harder time just doing things for myself that fall into my self-defined category of "frivolous".  Like a lot of caregiver personality types, I can walk into Target (yay for Target--oh wait, I'm getting sidetracked) with the intent of buying myself a new pair of shoes and walk out with slacks for my husband, socks for my daughter, cat litter, toilet paper, etc., and no shoes for me.  I am the queen of justifying spending money on others or doing things for someone else that could fall into that same category of "frivolous" that I would apply if the item or action was for me.

Part of what I've been working on the past couple years is allowing myself to enjoy things that are not for someone else and to not beat myself up for doing so.

Yesterday while grocery shopping, there were rose bouquets on sale for $4.98.  I had to pause and think about it and even talked myself out of it twice.  I did though allow myself the roses in the end simply because I wanted them.  So now I have roses on my dining room table from me and to me.  The picture in the upper left hand corner of the blog is one I took last night of one of the roses.  I find that I like taking pictures of every day things and just looking at the details.  Perhaps I'll start doing that more often as well.

2 comments:

  1. Let's see if your blog still hates me.

    Welcome back to the blogosphere. I really look forward to reading you again. I found you insightful and related to a lot of what you wrote.

    I wanted to remind you that buying flowers for yourself is important. You remember why they tell you to put the oxygen on yourself first in case of an emergency on a plane? Because if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of anyone else.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zaz! Glad you found me and that blogger appears to have gotten over itself :)

    I like the analogy of the plane. It sometimes is hard to remember that I even need to be taken care of so when the the fleeting moment comes I have to listen pretty closely to hear it.

    ReplyDelete