Saturday, January 17, 2009

Disconnected

Apparently I'm the last person on the face of the earth who does not own a cell phone.  Every time I say this out loud, people look at me in disbelief shortly followed by the question, "Are you serious?"  As if survival without a cell phone was completely impossible and I'm apparently a throwback to ancient times...well that or an alien being who hasn't a clue.

Truth be told I am technically savvy.  In fact my job is technical analysis in which write specification documents for a team of developers.  I do seem to have this odd block in my brain though when it comes to cell phones.  People have handed them to me to use over the years and I look at them as if the object might bite me.  Even J's IPhone confuses me.  I guess I just want it to be a phone and having to try to figure out how to get the dumb thing to dial irritates me.

Now that being said, I've received increased pressure from all of the two to three people I would call on a cell phone to hurry up and get one.  That if I don't they'll break down and buy one they'll buy me a prepaid phone because I just simply cannot survive any longer (in their eyes) without one. Whatever will I do if my car breaks down somewhere or they need to get ahold of me in the few hours I'm either not at work or home!!??  I'd suggest a bat signal, but I suppose that would have a more expensive monthly service plan.

So today I looked again at cell phones.  I researched several prepaid plans and even stopped at the little table for TMobile in WalMart (and on a side note I really hate going into WalMart).  The guy there also gave me the alien look when I told him I didn't have a phone.  He went the step that others often go to with "How can you not have a phone with a child?"  I resisted the impulse to answer, "Oh crap!! The doctor must have forgotten to pull the phone out of my womb when she was born!  No wonder I occasionally hear ringing and can't figure out where it's coming from!!"

At home on the web, I began on the AT&T site since we already have a plan with them and then also checked Verizon as that's where my sister-in-law and brother have plans.  My problem is this:
1) I've lived this long without a phone so how do I justify spending a minimum of $40 a month for a plan with a phone for 2 years?  
2) Once I get a phone if I go with a prepaid simple phone at closer to $12 a month just for the sake of emergencies am I going to regret it and really wish I'd gotten the phone that I'd like to use for internet, instant messaging, text messages and calling those multitudes of contacts who are going to miraculously appear the moment I declare to the world that I no longer am "disconnected".

The other trap I'm falling into is that I want a pretty and trendy phone.  Ok, don't even ask me why, but I'm apparently drawn to the colored phones that will coordinate with my new purse rather than just the simple functional plain black phone.  I feel in some regards like I'm back in high school trying to make sure I still fit in with the popular crowd even though I know that I can hang with them but will never really be a part of the group.

**UPDATE** Ok, I caved in and bought myself a GoPhone.  I got one of the nicer ones and checked the reviews.  It actually only ended up being $19.99 and will give me all of the features I could want if I really do decide to use it a bit more than an emergency only phone.  I think if I do end up getting a phone more as a "toy" then I'll wait it out and get the Palm Pre.  That one looks like it has the features I'd enjoy longer term and use more.  

2 comments:

  1. The only time I truly needed a cell phone, as in I had spun out on an icy highway and was in a dark ditch in the middle of nowhere? I had no cell service! I waited just like in olden times for a state cop to wander by in the storm and notice my white vehicle amidst the blizzard.
    I still have a cell phone, but I use it to make calls or send texts. I've never read the book about all the other wonderful, distracting things it can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very very lucky that you did get noticed! I'd never even thought about the no service scenario.

    J's IPhone has all kinds of gadgets including one that lets you blow across it and makes notes like a panflute. I'd be in trouble I think with games like tetris and the like LOL!

    ReplyDelete